Role profile: Photographer (volunteer)
About the role:
Do you see life through a lens? Are you passionate about finding the perfect image? Can you create the picture that says a thousand words? Our Photographers help our guests to tell their stories, showcase our homelessness services, as well as promote the impact of our charity.
Our Photographers always ensure everyone is treated with respect, never made to feel vulnerable, and has a positive experience being photographed. A really great image can make someone feel special.
What you’ll get out of it:
You’ll use your creativity and photography skills to produce amazing images. You’ll see your images used on promotional materials or on our website, showcasing your skills. You’ll be able to try out new techniques and get feedback on your work. You’ll meet new people from a wide range of backgrounds, join an enthusiastic team of volunteers, and make new friends.
Ideally, you’ll need to be:
- Outgoing, friendly and non-judgemental.
- Passionate about our charity and keen to promote our work.
- A keen and experienced photographer – you needn’t be David Bailey, but
you should be at home with a camera and have a good eye.
- Able to follow a brief and enjoy interacting with people.
- Able to handle sensitive information and situations appropriately.
- Committed to equality, diversity and inclusion.
What you’ll do:
- Take photographs on behalf of our charity to promote our activities and events.
- You’ll capture and edit outstanding images that fulfil the brief.
- You’ll deliver them in the right format to meet your deadline for us to use and archive.
- You’ll follow our guidelines and complete paperwork as needed.
Time and commitment:
Projects will happen sporadically and will vary in length. Some may happen at weekends and evenings. We might ask you to help with a specific project at short notice, if you’re able to.
What support you’ll get from us:
- We’ll help you increase your understanding of homelessness and related issues so you are confident supporting our guests.
- Our induction will explain how we operate and explain our guidelines.
- We’ll provide you with a clear brief for each photography project.
- We’ll keep you up to date with our activities via email as well as with informal volunteer get-togethers.
- We’ll introduce you to key volunteers and contacts.
- We’ll reimburse out of pocket expenses in line with our policy.
Who can apply to volunteer?
- You’ll be at least 18 years old.
- We will ask for references.
- We welcome interest from people with relevant lived experience of homelessness and related issues.
- We expect volunteers to comply with our policies including health and safety, data protection and code of conduct at all times.
More about Restart Lives:
RESTART Lives is a homelessness charity, based in London, supporting homeless people (our guests) to break the cycle of homelessness and move towards independent living, feeling more empowered, confident and resilient.
Our aim is to support rough sleepers and vulnerable housed adults to overcome the challenges of life on the streets by assisting them to secure accommodation, find employment/income, improve social relationships, mental health and well-being.
Many of our guests have come from, or are currently living in, vulnerable situations (including sleeping on the street or in temporary accommodation).
The key principles underpinning our work include:
- any effective response to homelessness must tackle root causes by seeking to address mental health issues and promote positive wellbeing;
- the provision of food and temporary shelter are important starting points in meeting basic needs but alone will not create transformational change;
- for many people who are homeless, long-term, sustainable employment is essential if they are to lead fulfilling, independent lives;
- we work collaboratively and strategically with other organisations in order to deliver effective impact and dynamic change.
How to apply:
Ideally, please email us with no more than 1 side of A4 about why you are applying for this role. You are welcome to include a CV too if you wish.
Email us at email@example.com or call 07828 883 771.
If you have any questions about the role, you can arrange to speak to one of our staff confidentially. Please note, this is an unpaid volunteering role with the charity.
You are welcome to hand us a copy of your application at our drop-in on Friday evening if you prefer (St Columba’s Church, Pont Street, Knightsbridge, London), or if you have difficulty accessing the internet or a computer, please let one of our staff or volunteers know and we can talk to you about applying.